It is proved that, exercise decreases the risks of getting many diseases and increases your chances of staying active and independent. It is quite a common fact that the human body tends to slow down with age. There are a number of reasons associated with the same. With age, mobility tends to decrease which is precisely the reason as to why there is an overall slowness in the movement of body parts. There are number of benefits of exercise for seniors. Experts recommend that exercise is the key to maintaining overall good health, especially in old age. Thus, it would always be a very good idea to follow a regular exercise routine by the elderly. But at the same time, it is to be kept in mind that strenuous exercise is not recommended for the elderly since it might be problematic or can hurt. So, let us delve a bit deeper into the topic to understand the importance of exercise for the elderly.
Here are some points on how exercise helps you in keeping your body, physically and mentally, healthy.
Table of contents
Physical Health Benefits of Exercise for Elders
Exercise not only alleviates depression but also improves energy and memory. Exercise comes with a wide array of physical health benefits for the elderly. Let us read through to learn more about the same.
- Reduces the Impact of Illness – Several studies have brought to light that regular exercise plays a vital role in preventing a wide array of diseases in the elderly like diabetes, heart diseases, and others. Mobility is undoubtedly one of the major problems faced by the elderly. It is because bones and muscles become weak with age. Moreover, diseases like arthritis, osteoarthritis, and others make the bones weak along with muscles losing their strength readily affects mobility. In this situation, exercise is the key that not only enhances mobility in seniors but also brings about an improvement in the overall immune system. Even light exercising such as walking can prove to be quite powerful for preventing various diseases and readily reduce the impact of illness.
- Help Maintain Right Body Weight – An increase in body weight has been a big problem for a considerable volume of seniors. With age, physical activities tend to reduce which many times propel the increase of body weight. With bodyweight increasing, the pressure on the knees increases, thereby causing pain and a wide range of other problems like reduced mobility, inability to do daily activities, etc. In this regard, regular exercising plays a significant role in maintaining a balanced bodyweight, there enabling the seniors to get rid of several problems associated with increased body weight.
- Enhanced Mobility and Flexibility – Going for regular exercise is quite helpful in the proper functioning of the muscles, bones, and joints. This, in turn, plays a crucial role in increasing mobility, strength, and flexibility in the elderly to assure them of a hassle-free living. Moreover, enhanced strength and flexibility make sure that the risk of falls is readily decreased. The seniors are at a higher risk of falls, but exercise helps improve balance and coordination, thereby reducing the chances of falls which is quite beneficial.
Mental Health Benefits of Exercise for Elders
With age, mental health also begins to deteriorate. To keep the mentally healthy, regular exercising is undoubtedly one of the best options. Let us understand how exercise helps benefit the mental health of the elderly.
- Improves the Sleeping Pattern – It has been commonly observed that seniors have a difficulty in sleeping or face disrupted sleep patterns. Many tend to suffer from insomnia as well. In this situation, exercise happens to be the key in helping the seniors overcome the situation to allow them to get a good night’s sleep.
- Uplifting Mood – Regular exercising plays a significant role in boosting mood that proves to be immensely beneficial. Exercise helps produce endorphins which are referred to as the ‘feel good hormone’. It acts as a stress reliever and keeps the individuals happy as well as satisfied, thereby maintaining overall good mental health.
- Improves Brain Function – Regular physical activity plays a major role in improving the functioning of the brain in seniors. It fine-tunes the motor skills for bringing about an improvement in cognitive functioning, thereby reducing the risk of dementia.
Activities Beneficial for Elders
To make it easier for the readers to understand, here we have listed a few important activities for elders that would prove to be quite beneficial.
- Exercising – It is already mentioned that regular exercising is good for both physical as well as mental health of the seniors. Only light freehand exercise is recommended and not strenuous activities.
- Walking – Walking is the best activity for the elderly. Experts recommend that walking at a constant slow yet steady pace is appropriate.
- Aerobics – The seniors can also opt for aerobics if interested since aerobics play a vital role in enhancing flexibility, balanced, and at the same time good for uplifting mood.
- Fitness Classes – The elderly can also join fitness classes if they feel so. There are specialized fitness classes designed for senior people which can prove to be quite advantageous.
Factors that Promote Good Health in the Elderly
There are certain factors that help promote overall good health in the elderly. Let us read through to understand in a better manner.
- Intake of Balanced Diet – Intake of a balanced diet with all the necessary nutrients, proteins, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and all others in the right amount is the key factor in promoting good health in seniors.
- Regular Exercising – Regular exercising is another important factor that keeps seniors healthy. Exercise provides relief from pain, improves flexibility, mobility & balance, gives power to muscles, a solution from laziness & lethargy, keeps several diseases & conditions at bay, improves mental health, and a number of others, thereby benefitting both physical as well as mental well-being.
- Socializing –In old age, socializing is immensely beneficial for promoting overall good health. Interaction and communication keep the elders happy as well as content which proves to be extremely advantageous.
- Other Activities – It is always recommended to keep the elderly engaged for better health. To effectively do the same, it would be ideal to engage the elderly in various activities such as gardening, playing indoor games, offering prayers, fishing, and a number of others.
Alternatives to Exercising
- There is a considerable volume of seniors who do not like to exercise. For them here we have listed a few activities that can be used as alternatives to exercising.
- Playing with kids
- Playing with pets
- Chatting with others while walking to reduce boredom
- Dusting and cleaning your place
- Other activities that require physical movement like gardening, fishing, farming, etc.
How Can Mathews Home Help?
Mathews Home is one of the premier luxury retirement homes in Kottayam and one of the most preferred places for the elderly to spend their life’s second innings. At Mathews Home, we have adequately trained and vastly experienced staff to take care of the residents in the best possible manner. The seniors can get a feel of luxury while staying on Mathews Home with all the modern facilities to make their living a grand success. Healthcare facilities are available at the fingertips of the residents with round-the-clock emergency services. In addition to this, Mathews Home has a geriatric gym with a highly trained and qualified instructor who guides each of the residents on the right path to maintain overall good health. In addition to this, the residents can enjoy different leisure activities to enhance engagement among them. Along with proper and regular exercising, a balanced diet is of utmost importance to keep good health. Food preparation is done under the supervision of a trained nutritionist to ensure the intake of all vital ingredients that are necessary for good health. Mathews Home assures every resident to help them in maintaining an overall good physical as well as mental health. So, what are you waiting for? Come to us soon and book a short-term stay to experience the quality of life at Mathews Home.